Veggie and Tofu Bao Buns
- Servings: 4 servings of 4 buns each, 16 buns total
For the buns
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 Tbsp sesame oil for brushing & more for greasing the bowl
- A bundle of sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup minced ginger
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 pack of firm tofu
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 large daikon
Remember to marinade the tofu while the buns rise.
- Bloom yeast with sugar and 1 cup of warm water.
- Add all the buns ingredients in a stand mixer, then add 1 cup of water and mix. Add more water until it forms a soft but not sticky dough.
- Remove the dough, grease the stand mixer bowl with sesame oil, then return the dough. Cover and let rise for 2 hours.
- Julienne the bell peppers and daikon.
- Knead, then split the dough into 16 small balls. Flatten balls into roughly 5-inch circles, using flour to avoid sticking if needed.
- Brush the insides of the dough circles with sesame oil, fill with vegetables, fold, and place them onto parchment paper. Cover and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Steam buns for 10 minutes.
Tofu & Sauce
- Mix all the sauce ingredients except the tofu in a bowl.
- Cut the tofu into 4 long pieces.
- Place the tofu in the bowl, and let it marinade in the fridge until you are ready to cook it.
- Remove the tofu from the sauce, and sear 2 sides of it in a pan with 2 Tbsp canola oil, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the tofu from the pan, then pour in the sauce. Cook until thickened.
- Slice each piece of tofu into 4 thin slabs, resulting in 16 slabs that each have 2 thin sides seared.
Place a piece of tofu into each bun, then a bit of the thickened sauce.